Enjoy the Cultural & Historical Tour in Pondicherry
Pondicherry is the ideal place to go for anyone seeking history, natural splendor and serenity on a vacation.
The Union Territory of Pondicherry having a 32 Kms long coastline around the Coromandel Coast is a well-planned French Boulevard town. An ideal family holiday destination, it’s everything that helps one to relax and revel in. The numerous palm-fringed beaches, splendid seafront resorts, beautiful backwaters, wondrous opportunities and facilities for aquatic sports centre, fabulous tiny fishing villages and hamlets and handy harbor turn it into a much-beloved tourist spot. Its highlights would be the pier, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, the world-class Auroville city and also the internationally acclaimed Yoga centers. Aside from the city of Pondicherry as its capital lying 162 Kms South of Chennai, another regions included in this Union Territory are Karaikal, 132 Kms South of Pondicherry, Yanam within the East Godavari district in Andhra Pradhesh and Mahe within the Cannanore District of Kerala.
The city is a fusion of delightful locations, sparkling backwaters, serene beaches, exciting architecture and boulevards of mighty tress. A goody for the senses Pondicherry cossets you with the things that it has to offer. Pondicherry is a calm and quiet place that is famous for the places offering spiritual rejuvenation. The area accommodates diverse cultures like Hinduism, Islam and Christianity. Similarly there’s a plethora of languages that are spoken by the people pf this lovely city. The mix of the French Colonial Heritage using the rich Tamil Culture creates a wonderful harmony to have an enjoyable vacation. This explains why people from far and near gather at this tranquil city to wind down and get revitalized.
This city is a favorable destination for shopping since the taxes that are levied are extremely low or non- existing. The standard Dolls that are exclusively made here attract every visitor which place is home to various renowned brands of leather, handmade paper and pottery. It may be easily asserted that Pondicherry is one of a sort city. It has an ambience which soothes our senses and alleviates your soul to a different height.
History of Pondicherry
This beautiful seaside city is usually referred to as the French Riviera of the East and it is famous as the former capital from the French who ruled this region for 300 years.
- The origins from the city go back to the times of sage Agastya, a revered saint of South India. Excavations near Pondicherry demonstrate that a Roman settlement existed here 2000 years back.
- It was also the theatre of numerous a battle between the British and also the French and was the capital of French India before it attained its independence, which make the city historically very wealthy.
- Apart from the charming atmosphere and ideal restaurants, what attracts most travellers to Pondicherry may be the Sri Aurobindo Ashram (a place where people live and pursue spirituality) and it is offshoot, Auroville.
- The ashram, founded by Sri Aurobindo in 1926, has taken international fame to this coastal city.
- There aren’t any records to indicate the exact origin of Pondicherry. Based on the legends, in the ancient times, the city was once called Vedapuri because of its renowned Vedic culture. It had been also the abode of the great saint referred to as Sage Agastya.
- His Ashram is said to stand on a single site as that of Sri Aurobindo Ashram today by Prof. Jonvean Dubrouil, in france they archeologist. 6 km from here, the excavations at Arikamedu have brought forth the ruins from the ancient port town with trade connections with Rome and Greece dating back the period between 100 BC and 100 AD.
- Chola coins dating back 11th and 12th centuries are also found here. The above artefacts are displayed in the excavations at Arikamedu can be viewed in the Pondicherry Museum. Whatever may be the past the modern Pondicherry was born using the arrival of the French in 1673 who ruled for around 281 years in the area and a profound influence of Southern France can nonetheless be seen in the region.
You will be picked up from your hotel in Chennai, and can travel in an air-conditioned vehicle to Pondicherry, that is about 160 kilometres away.
- Upon arrival, sign in at the Ananda Inn. You will remain in a standard room. This beautiful hotel is found in the heart of the city along with a 10-minute walk will take you to the beach and also the famous Aurobindo Ashram.
- It has air-conditioned rooms with all of modern amenities and a multi-cuisine restaurant that serves a number of Indian cuisines like Chettinad, Tandoor, Mughalai and Malabar delicacies and international cuisines like Chinese and Continental amongst others.
- The hotel also has a spa, a pool and an ayurveda centre offering various rejuvenation packages amongst others.
- Later accompanied by a local English-speaking guide, choose sightseeing of Pondicherry which traces its origin to Saint Gasthya, the revered sage from the South. Excavations near Pondicherry reveal that a Roman settlement existed here 2000 years back.
- It was also the theatre of numerous a battles between the British and also the French and was the capital of French India before it attained its independence. visit Auroville.
- Your best guide will tell you more about this city that is situated about 10 kilometres from Pondicherry and is also known as ‘City of Dawn,’.
- It had been founded in 1968 like a tribute to Sri Aurobindo, and was envisioned like a Universal Town where people from different nationalities, faiths and beliefs could reside in peace and harmony.
- Spread 50 plus square kilometres, the geographical lay-out of Auroville was planned to mirror a striving for unity using the main temple, Matri Mandir at the center.
- Within the Matri Mandir is a meditation chamber lined with white marble along with a huge crystal, arguably the biggest in the world. Stoll around the place watching an eclectic mix of people start their daily chores because they live a life devoted to spiritual pursuits.
Later go back to the hotel for dinner (payable direct) and also to spend the night.
Today after breakfast you’ll be driven back to Chennai and be dropped at the hotel where the tour ends.